Things changed. After the Google Algorithm Update August 2018, you might want to check your online marketing strategy. In this article, I will share my insight on the future of SEO and how you can secure your website in accordance with google updates.
A Strategy that is focused mainly on ranking keywords is not a healthy practice for modern digital marketing. Along with focusing on every relevant keywords, Build your brand value. Branding has now become far more important than ever.
The 8/1 update along with all other updates from the past few months many websites has been impacted badly. Has your site traffic dropped by these updates? If yes, then keep reading.
What is a broad core algorithm update?
As we know, there’s over 200 signals Google uses for ranking websites on search results. Some have more importance than others. A broad core algorithm update is the change in importance, order or values of different ranking signals.
Google updates the search algorithm numerous times in a year. Most updates are minor but all the major updates have a specific purpose. For example, penguin was focused on link spam, pigeon was focused on local search spam and panda was focused on content spam.
What to learn from Google Algorithm Update August 2018 (Google medic update 2018)?
According to Google,
There’s no “fix” for pages that may perform less well other than to remain focused on building great content. Over time, it may be that your content may rise relative to other pages.
But there’s always some scope of improvement. Google is highly focused on user experience(UX) in last couple of years. Think about the machine learning algorithm updates. Google machine learning algorithm continuously collects and processes user data at the site and query level to produce the best result.
Besides, to my understanding, Google is gradually decreasing the value of “links” in general. What’s your take on this? Let me know in the comments.
What Google wants is significant and long-term improvements for better user experience with a better search result corresponding to the query. Focus and Make Necessary Improvements on the following 5 Important Steps to keep up with Every Google Update:
- Technical SEO: On-Page Optimization
- Quality of Content
- Relevance of Information
- User Experience (UX) Improvement
- Relevant Backlinks
Technical On-Site SEO is now far more important than off-page (Link Building) SEO. Many sites failed to implement proper on-page SEO techniques. They are missing the juiciest part of online marketing and showing low performance in the SERPs. Here is the checklist for on-site optimization:
- Meta title tag
- Meta description
- URL structure
- Heading tags (H1 to H6)
- Internal linking
- Schema markups
- Image alt texts
- Rel canonical tag
- Error response codes
- Social media profiles integration
Learn details from my article on On-page optimization.
P.S: Avoid redirecting all 404 pages to home page. Use 301 redirection to the relevant page only.
Quality of content
Google is asking us to build quality content for users all along. So, analyze how users are interacting with your current content.
- Why it is failing to attract the users?
- What information the users are looking for?
- What is it that you’ve missed?
Then proceed accordingly.
In my opinion, good quality content should contain the following virtues:
- Informative (No Exaggeration)
- Relevant (To the point, No new ideas)
- Trusted reference for statistical data
- Attractive call to action
Bad contents are those which generally have one or more of the following disorders:
- Purely promotional intent
- Disruptive (Lack of natural flow)
- Scattered ideas (Not highlighting the main idea)
- Unverified or misrepresented data
Relevance of information
Relevant information is deeply connected with effective communication. Let’s assume someone is searching for “what is plantar fasciitis?”. The top result (HealthLink BC) offers the following complementary information-
- What causes plantar fasciitis?
- What are the symptoms?
- How is plantar fasciitis diagnosed?
- How is it treated?
- How long will it take for the pain to go away?
- Frequently Asked Questions
When you compare this page with others from the search result, you can see the difference clearly. The content presented here is more likely to satisfy the query of the users. There are some high authority sites (such as WebMD and Mayo Clinic) which are ranked below. It’s because their pages lack relevance to the query compared to the health link BC page.
User experience (UX) improvement
User experience (UX) improvement covers a lot of factors to make a website easy to interact for users. Generally, the things you need to pay attention for UX improvement are the followings:
- Faster page load time
- Plain and simple website structure
- Well defined navigation structure
- Interactive mobile-friendly user interface
- Increase the readability of content (Bullet points, font size, spacing & paragraph size)
- Engaging call to action
For continuous improvement of your re-designed site, watch your users and make further changes accordingly.
When it comes to linkbuilding, most SEOs always look for high DA or high DR irrespective of relevance. As I stated earlier, “Google is gradually decreasing the value of links“. But the value of quality links can never be ignored.
My advice will be,
- Focus on quality over quantity
- Stop counting No-Follow and Do-Follow links
- Stop looking for exact matched anchor text links
- Stop worrying about 3rd party link quality metrics.
- Focus on getting backlinks from related websites
To determine the quality and relevance of a website,
Check the backlink source If-
- It is publishing relevant content regularly.
- It is getting good amount of organic traffic.
- Users are interacting with their content.
- The link can bring referral traffic
- The link are published through editorial review process.
Today’s SEO is more than just ranking keywords. It is all about thorough research, building strategy according to user demographic and implementation. Patience and consistency is very important for both bBusiness owners and SEO professionals. SEO is continuously evolving with the updates in search engine algorithms. A good SEO strategy helps improve SERPs as well as increase brand value for long-term success.
So, What do you think? Feel free to give your feedback and share your thoughts.
SEO Fix for Google Algorithm Update August 2018 (Infographic)